Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Fresh Cranberries...hmmmmmm!

Those little bags of fresh cranberries start to show up in grocery stores about this time a year. And every year I buy a bag only to have them rot in my fridge because I don't know what to do with them. This year I bought them with the goal to actually do something with them. It was Viv and Kai today, baby was napping and boys at school. I was feeling lazy so I got the bread maker out then googled "fresh cranberry bread machine recipe". I printed out the first recipe that came up.

We are all still in our PJ's and actually stayed that way all day!

It calls for LOTS of grated lemon peel.

We love watching the bread machine work its magic.


Ok, this bread is really weird. It had lots of cinnamon but hardly any sugar. The end result was more like a savory bread with little bursts of bittersour. I can't say I hated it (because I ended up eating a lot) but I didn't like it either. It was so strange that I didn't want to give it away. Viv had a great idea, she wants to save it for Papa, which is brilliant. I seem to remember him making soda bread once and he threw in some hamburger and raisins to liven it up, this might be right up his ally. Stay tuned for a delivery on this next week.


Cranberry Cinnamon Bread
Ingredients
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1/2 TBSP. Yeast
2 1/4 cup Flour, bread
1 TBSP. Sugar
1 TBSP. Peel, lemon, grated
1 TBSP. Milk, powdered
1/2 TBSP. Salt
1 teasp. Cinnamon, ground
1 TBSP. Oil
1 1/8 cup Water; warm
1 cup Cranberries; frozen or fresh
............................................
you could substitute orange for the lemon
How to make it
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bring ingredients except cranberries to room temp and add to machine, in order. Set darkness control to 10 o'clock. Select "white bread" and press Start. Set cranberries out to thaw. Add cranberries at beep, 88 minutes into cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment